jueves, 3 de septiembre de 2009

LaVern Baker: Saved (1961) ... plus

LaVern Baker was one of the sexiest divas gracing the mid-'50s rock & roll circuit, boasting a brashly seductive vocal delivery tailor-made for belting the catchy novelties 'Tweedlee Dee,' 'Bop-Ting-a-Ling,' and 'Tra La La' for Atlantic Records during rock's first wave of prominence. Born Delores Williams, she was singing at the Club DeLisa on Chicago's south side at age 17, decked out in raggedy attire and billed as "Little Miss Sharecropper". She changed her name briefly to Bea Baker when recording for Okeh in 1951 with Maurice King's Wolverines, then settled on the first name of LaVern when she joined Todd Rhodes' band as featured vocalist in 1952. LaVern signed with Atlantic as a solo in 1953, debuting with the incendiary 'Soul on Fire.' The coy, Latin-tempo 'Tweedlee Dee' was a smash in 1955 on both the R&B and pop charts, although her impact on the latter was blunted when squeaky-clean Georgia Gibbs covered it for Mercury. An infuriated Baker filed suit over the whitewashing, but she lost. By that time, though, her star had ascended: Baker's 'Bop-Ting-A-Ling,' 'Play It Fair,' 'Still,' and the rocking 'Jim Dandy' all vaulted into the R&B Top Ten over the next couple of years. Her Atlantic records remained popular throughout the decade: she hit big in 1958 with the ballad 'I Cried a Tear,' adopted a pseudo-sanctified bellow for the rousing Leiber & Stoller-penned gospel sendup 'Saved' in 1960, and cut two more albums before leaving Atlantic in 1964. I included here the first, also titled Saved, from 1961, which consisted basically on early-'60s jazz, pop-tinged soul and R&B material. There was an interesting crew of guest stars on these sessions, among them Phil Spector on guitar, Sticks Evans on bass drums, and Taft Jordan on trumpet. Baker had a hit with a single from some earlier sessions, 'You're the Boss', with Jimmy Ricks. I added this song as a bonus track, along with six more which where released on a 1997 cd reissue by Sequel Records, the only one existing of this album, as far as I know. All these songs where recorded between 1959 and 1962 and include 'Bumble Bee', 'Shake a Hand', 'Shadows of Love' and 'Hey Memphis'. http://www.allmusic.com/

a
LaVern Baker performing 'Jim Dandy Got Married':
a

12 comentarios:

Noelia Almenara dijo...

http://rapidshare.com/files/274821045/LaVern_Baker_-_Saved__1961__..._plus.rar

onejazzyman dijo...

LaVern Baker was Atlantic Records best kept secret. She was a staple at Atlantic during the early days. Great post and thanks for sharing.

Unknown dijo...

Thanks for this and welcome back....am looking for

Donna Hightower - This World Today Is a Mess....

anyone?

Noelia Almenara dijo...

Hi scottdavida!

I haven't got This World Today Is a Mess (I wish I did), but I have Gee, Baby Ain't I Good To You? and Take One!, in case you are interested. Greetings

Unknown dijo...

Thanks I have both of these... I am sure I saw it somewhere. Will go back to the web.

Thanks again.

David

Troglodyte dijo...

Thanks Nosi! :)

Rockin' Daddy dijo...

Thank you very much for "Saved"!! LaVern is the best.
Rockin' Daddy is Back, Cheers!

elusive dijo...

thank you for this one and
for the good blog!

http://funkytones.blogspot.com/

Daddy Squeeze Me! dijo...

EXCUSE ME! I WAS TRYING TO FIND YOUR EMAIL BUT IM COMMENTING HERE. UM I SAW HOW MUCH YOU WANTED SOME ZILLA MAYZ AND I COMBED THE INTERNET DRY AND I HAVE FOUND I BELIVE 8 ZILLA MAYS TRACKS. I WOULD LIKE TO BUNDLE THEM UP AND OFFER THEM TO YOU...THEY RANGE FROM THE 50S-70S. IN EXCHANGE I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WOULD BE SOOO KIND AS TO EMAIL ME PATTI LABELLE AND THE BLUEBELLES- DREAMER AND TEH BEST OF THE VELVETTES! I WOULD REALLY LOVE THOSE 2 IF YOU CAN HON.

IM UPLOADING THE ZILLA MAYS FOR YOU NOW!

*DELLA!

Noelia Almenara dijo...

Hello, Della:

Here's a link for the Bluebelles' Dreamer:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235310055/Patti_Labelle___the_Bluebelles_-_Dreamer__1967__...plus.rar

And for the best of the Velvelettes:

http://rapidshare.com/files/115827855/Motown_-_The_Velvelettes_-_Very_Best.rar

troods dijo...

Wow, went for LaVern and got Patti Patti in addition. and the Velvettes. I'm so happy to listen and run those wonderful memories through my mind. I was 15 when I first saw Patti & the Buebelles live at the Brooklyn Fox. It was like a religious experience....those voices you could hear clear to the Bronx.....or the North Pole. No need for a microphone.......just the voice reverberating off the hallowed walls of the theater.

Thank you much!!

GeorgeS dijo...

Could that be Phil Spector on guitar in Bumble Bee and some others? That's very impressive.
But he was busy with his own work at the time.
See my own Music Journal at blogspot.